Fall harvest brings you the best flavors in this creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce! This flavorful sauce is a great way to switch up your pasta night!Jump to Recipe
Healthy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
So there I was, in the middle of Trader Joe’s in Tampa, FL and i spotted the epitome of fall- Pumpkin Harvest Pasta Sauce.
Right off the bat, I knew this is something I could and would make at home and tailor to my own taste. I just picked up an organic sugar pie pumpkin at my favorite grocery store, EverMan’s.
I roasted the pumpkin and made two beautiful pumpkin pies, which I almost single handedly demolished myself. Ta-da! Mum would be so proud. I had a cup of pumpkin puree left, and so I had to get creative!
This pumpkin pasta sauce is every bit of a cozy fall meal that you’ve been hoping for! The pumpkin and crushed tomatoes blend nicely with fresh herbs, then topped with heavy cream for the perfect creamy texture!
So, first you have this insanely delicious pasta sauce, then we go ahead and add another layer of flavor- Italian pan seared chicken breasts. Wow! The flavor combo is unmatched.
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce with Chicken
Ingredients to make Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Chicken:
- Pumpkin puree
- Crushed tomatoes
- Red pepper flakes
- Chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Tips to make this creamy pumpkin harvest pasta sauce:
- Use a good quality pumpkin puree. If you can roast a pumpkin to get some fresh puree, even better!
- Use a food processor to finely chop the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. This step saves time, saves my eyes from watering over some seriously juicy onions, and helps maintain the consistency of the sauce.
- Pan sear the chicken first. That way, when you remove the chicken breasts, the left over flavors are still in the pan, and ready to welcome the onion, carrot, garlic and celery.
- Use fresh herbs. Seriously. They taste so much better, they look pretty in your fridge, and simply put, they are healthy to eat.
- Use a blender. If the consistency is not as smooth as you’d like, uses a blender to create a more even texture.
- Top with your favorites like parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, and cracked pepper. This just adds the perfect depth of flavor to your finished product!
Pumpkin Sauce with Pasta and Chicken
How to make this easy pumpkin pasta sauce:
- First, heat a medium sized pot over medium heat. Add butter to the pan and let it melt.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder on both sides. Add to the hot pan and cook on each side until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan, and place to the side.
- Add an onion, garlic, celery and a carrot to the food processor and chop until it is very fine. Add this to the buttered pot. Stir and let it saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the fresh and chopped rosemary and sage. Give the pot a good stir. Add in the pumpkin puree, crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and red pepper flakes. Stir and let it come to a simmer.
- Add the heavy cream and let it cook for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
- If you want a more smooth consistency, take half of the sauce and put it in a blender for a few seconds. Return to the pot and stir.
- Cook up your favorite pasta according to package instructions, and serve up with a heaping ladle of pumpkin pasta sauce.
Easy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe
What kind of pumpkin puree to use?
My favorite way to make things is from scratch. I love the process of roasting a pumpkin and making a puree out of it. If this is not an option, a can of pumpkin puree will do the trick.
What goes with pumpkin pasta sauce?
Flavors that pair well with pumpkin include parmesan, sage, rosemary, nutmeg, and the list goes on and on. In this recipe, I carefully selected fresh sage, rosemary, a pinch of nutmeg, and red pepper flakes to help combine the flavors of pumpkin and crushed tomatoes.
More Pasta Ideas
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Fresh Herb Quinoa Salad
- Smoky Chickpea and Kale Rice Bowl
- Green Goddess Tortellini Salad
- Classic Potato Latkes
- Baked Salmon with Cranberry Relish
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe with Chicken
Pumpkin Pasta Sauce with Chicken
Fall harvest brings you the best flavors in this Pumpkin Pasta Sauce! This creamy sauce is a great way to switch up your pasta night!
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 LB chicken breasts, sliced thin OR chicken tenders
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 TBS fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 TBS fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Heat a medium sized pot over medium heat, and add butter.
Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and Italian seasoning on both sides. Add to the pan, and sear on each side until it is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set to the side.
Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot to the food processor and chop until it is very fine. Add to the pan, and saute for 2 minutes. Add the finely chopped fresh herbs and stir to incorporate.
Add the pumpkin puree and the crushed tomatoes. Add the nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Add the heavy whipping cream, and let cook for a few more minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
Cook your favorite pasta according to package directions, and serve with this delicious pumpkin pasta sauce on top and Italian chicken. Mangia!