This quick side dish results in crispy pan fried broccoli florets that are equally healthy and addicting! Robust olive oil and raw garlic adds a perfect touch of flavor.Jump to Recipe
Pan Fried Broccoli
If there’s one thing my dad can cook well, it’s pan fried garlic broccoli…and a mean tuna sandwich, but that’s not “cooked” so maybe count that as a solid TWO things!
It’s hard to keep your hands out of the pan as he moved the broccoli around the hot skillet to absorb all that delicious olive oil and bits of garlic. The result is broccoli florets with crispy edges, little bits of crisped garlic, and an addictingly good vegetable side dish.
This easy to make pan fried broccoli goes great with just about anything, but I recommend pairing it with pasta doused in red wine pasta sauce, one pan creamy parmesan gnocchi, or smoky chickpea and kale rice bowls.
All I can do is warn you that this roasted broccoli is a seriously delicious dish, and you will probably have trouble keeping tour hands out of the pan. Don’t forget your favorite toppings like parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, lemon, or all the above!
Ingredients to make pan roasted broccoli
- Broccoli- since this dish is so good, I count on one small head of broccoli to feed two people, so you do the math!
- Olive oil- a good quality olive oil will be robust in flavor and add a deeper flavor to the dish
- Garlic- Adding raw garlic to the olive oil allows for the oil to really draw out the flavor.
- Salt- just a pinch!
Tips to make the best pan roasted broccoli
- Use a cast iron pan. Sautéing broccoli in a cast iron pan ensures that you get those perfect crispy, almost burnt edges on the broccoli.
- Do not over cook the garlic. Toss the garlic into the heated pan and olive oil and allow it to cook for a brief minute. We don’t want the small bits of garlic to burn.
- Cut the broccoli florets. Place the cut side down on the pan to get those perfect crisped edges on the broccoli.
- Turn the pan on medium high to quickly roast the broccoli. Allow the broccoli to cook for 5-10 minutes, flip the broccoli on the other side and cook for another 5 minutes.
How to make crispy pan roasted broccoli with garlic
- Mise en place. Gather all your ingredients. Chop the broccoli florets into bite sized pieces, finely chop the garlic, and get ready to rock.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pan. Allow the olive oil to warm up in the pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the pan. Cook the garlic for only a minute.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pan. Turn the stove up to medium high heat and cook the broccoli for 5-10 minutes, then flip on the other side and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Top with salt. Add salt, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, or all of them for a super flavorful broccoli dish.
How to store roasted broccoli
Store cooked broccoli in the fridge
Roasted broccoli can be stored in an airtight container (preferably glass) for up to 4 days.
It is not recommended that you freeze this broccoli as the texture and flavor will be compromised.
What goes with pan roasted broccoli
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken is a crispy yet tender chicken dinner that the whole family will love!
- White Wine and Fresh Herb Roasted Chicken is the kind of dish that really embodies the sense of home cooking.
- Pesto Pasta with artichoke hearts is a fresh and light dinner that takes only a few minutes to put together.
- Green Goddess Tortellini Salad is a quick 15 minute meal that takes the guess work out of dinner (and lunch, too!)
- Lemon and Basil Ricotta Spaghetti Squash is a healthy and flavorful gluten free dish that will refresh the senses!
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Italian Vegetables
- Creamy Lobster Pasta
- Italian Anise Cookies
- Prosciutto Wrapped Parmesan Green Bean Bundles
- Turkey Pozole
Pan Roasted Broccoli With Garlic
This quick side dish results in crispy pan fried broccoli florets that are equally healthy and addicting! Robust olive oil and raw garlic adds a perfect touch of flavor.
- 1 bunch of broccoli cut into bite sides pieces
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- squeeze of lemon juice *optional
- red pepper flakes *optional
In a medium cast iron pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Finely chop the garlic. Cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces. Once the oil is heated, add the garlic and allow to sauté for one minute.
Add the broccoli to the pan and allow it to cook for 5-10 minutes, until the broccoli has crispy edges. Flip the broccoli to the other side and allow it to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
Remove the cast iron from the heat and top the broccoli with a pinch of salt, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, a squeeze of lemon juice, or all the above. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!