Straight from the Yucatan Peninsula, this Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup is fresh from Ofelia’s kitchen! A lemon and lime soup base with shredded chicken and fresh fixings makes this soup so wholesome!Jump to Recipe
Authentic Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken
So there I was in Cancun in 90 degree weather, working on a huge bowl of lime soup. It may sound contradicting but this warm bowl of soup was so nourishing, refreshing, and downright delicious.
Mexican Lime soup is native to Mexico and has a light, delicate citrus base with shredded chicken, peppers, and sides like avocado, cheese, and chips! What could be better than a combo of those flavors?!
Sopa de lima is perfect for those chilly evenings or when you don’t feel well. This soup is packed with vitamin c and protein! I seriously cannot get enough of it! When I make it, I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
This is no ordinary recipe, folks. This is (are you ready for it..) my sister’s fiance’s mother’s soup recipe. Ofelia and my sister’s fiance, Fernando, live in Cancun and were so stoked to hear this is now our family favorite, too!
Fernando loves this recipe because his mom makes it for him when he feels under the weather. Our American version is a chicken noodle soup. Truth me told, I would much rather this beautiful citrus based soup any day! It’s just that good!
My sister, Emily, made this soup while she was visiting from Boston. It was a perfect night for soup as a coastal storm was passing. She got the recipe directly from Ofelia, and I have cherished her handwritten notes since. As you can see, it is water stained, it is crumbled, but most of all, it’s been used and loved.
Sopa De Lima
Ingredients needed for lime soup:
- Chicken breasts
- Garlic cloves
- Green pepper
- Chile guajillo (or a mixture of paprika and chili)
- chicken bullion
Tips on makings Yucatan Lime Soup with Chicken
- Use the chicken breasts for the broth. Cook the chicken breasts in the water that will be the soup base.
- Fry the vegetables. Before adding the onion, green pepper, tomatoes and chile guajillo to the soup base, fry them in a pan with a little oil and salt.
- Serve with traditional Mexican sides. Tortillas, queso oxaca, avocados, salsa de chile, and fresh cilantro are all great choices to build this soup up!
Mexican Chicken Lime Soup
How to make lime soup
- Cook the chicken breasts in a pot full of water with oregano, salt, and crushed garlic.
- Cut the bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion, and chile guajillo. Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Fry the vegetables, adding salt for flavor.
- When the chicken breasts are fully cooked, remove with a slotted spoon and shred the meat. Return the meat to the pot. Mix in the fried vegetables.
- Juice the lemons and lime, then add the juice to the pot, making sure there are no seeds or pulp.
- Serve soup with traditional Mexican sides like queso oxaca, avocado slices, tortilla strips, cilantro, or salsa.
Other Latin dishes
- Ropa Veija
- Traditional Mexican Tostados
- Cactus Paddles w/ Pork Ribs & Red Chile
- Sopa de Fideo
- Mexican Conchas
- Refried Beans
More Backyard Bohemain Classics
- Authentic Pico De Gallo is a fresh mix of diced roma tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion and squeezed lime juice. This Mexican classic can spice up any dish!
- These Creamy Vegetarian Black Bean Taquitos are packed full of black beans, green chiles, cauliflower rice, and a perfect blend of Mexican spices. With every crunchy bite, there is no doubt this will be your favorite vegetarian dish!
- This whole chicken is roasted with fresh herbs, garlic, white wine, and a few spices to create a juicy and flavorful dinner.
- Chicken and dumplings is a classic that is made even easier with this recipe! Rotisserie chicken and store bought stock make this recipe easy to make in thirty minutes!
- This creamy Copy Cat Panera Bread Baja Macaroni and Cheese is exploding with flavor! With garlic-lime seared chicken, fresh pico de gallo, and extra cheese macaroni, this dish is a hit!
Easy Mexican Lime Soup with Shredded Chicken
Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup
Straight from the Yucatan Peninsula, this Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup is fresh from Ofelia's kitchen! A lemon and lime soup base with shredded chicken and fresh fixings makes this soup so wholesome!
- 9 cups water
- 2 lbs chicken tenderloins
- 1 TBS fresh oregano (use 1/2 tsp if using dried oregano)
- 1 tsp chicken bullion
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 2 chile guajillo*
- 1 white onion
- 6 roma tomaotes halved and deseeded
- 2 bell peppers
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 5/6 lemons)
- 3 TBS lime juice (about 2/3 limes)
In a large pot, heat water over high heat. Add raw chicken breasts, garlic cloves, oregano, chicken bullion, and salt to the pot and bring to a boil for 15 minutes.
In another pan, heat a little oil over medium heat. Halve the tomatoes and discard the seeds. Chop onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, and chile guajillos in a blender until they are bite sized. Add to the pan and sautee for 5 minutes.
Once the chicken is done cooking, remove from the broth with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate. Shred the chicken, and place back in the broth.
Stir in the fried vegetables into the broth. Juice the lemons and limes, making sure to remove pulp and seeds. Add to the soup. Let simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with chips, slices of avocado, wedges of lime, fresh cilantro, and oxaca cheese.
*If you cannot find chile guajillo at your local store, you can replace with a mixture of 1 TBS paprika and 1/2 TBS chili powder
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!