Smoked salmon with cream cheese on perfectly toasted bagels is a satisfyingly delicious breakfast! Topped with a special cucumber sauce, these lox and bagels are packed with flavor!Jump to Recipe
Healthy Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese On a Bagel
Lox and bagels is a super popular breakfast in the north. I loved to grab a warm, freshly made New York bagel topped with home made cream cheese and smoked salmon. These lox and bagels are so flavorful and delicious, it’s hard to look at breakfast the same way after!
First of all, if you have never had a New York bagel that is freshly made that morning, I feel sorry for you. I need you to make it a mission to seek out a place that knows what they’re doing, and enjoy a fresh one!
This breakfast is like the king of all breakfasts. It’s easy, filling, and healthy. It’s also a handheld breakfast for all you on the go folks.
The cucumber sauce I included in this recipe is just a bonus step, but it’s one you won’t want to miss out on! While it does make a big batch if you’re just making a couple lox and bagels, you can use this cucumber sauce for a salad dressing or a vegetable dip. Multipurpose recipes are the best!
Salmon and Cream Cheese Bagels
Ingredients needed to make Lox and Bagels:
- New York style bagels
- Smoked salmon
- Cream cheese
- Fresh dill
Tips to make Lox Bagel Breakfast Sandwich
- Use large bagels. Have you ever heard anyone complain their bagel is too large? No? The bigger the better! Get those New York style bagels you’ve been dying to have!
- Don’t skimp on the smoked salmon. These bagels are meant to be loaded with all the good fixings. One tiny slice of smoked salmon just won’t cut it. Layer them, or fold them over to make this breakfast sandwich more filling.
- Use a blender for the sauce. Toss the cucumber, cream cheese, lemon juice, and fresh dill in the blender to make the sauce within seconds!
- Capers, dill, and cracked pepper make for great toppings. Totally not necessary, but so so so delicious!
Lox Bagel Recipe
How to make easy lox and bagel breakfast sandwich
- Start with a New York style bagel. Toast it until it’s perfectly browned. If you are making this in a larger quantity, halve the bagels and place them on a baking sheet. Broil them in the oven for 3-5 minutes (keep you eye on them).
- Slap some cream cheese on the bagels.
- Add a couple slices of smoked salmon on top of the cream cheese.
- Make the cucumber sauce by combining cream cheese, a cucumber, lemon juice, and fresh dill in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle the cucumber sauce onto the lox and bagel, then top with delicious and colorful fixings like cracked pepper, fresh dill, and capers. Eat up!
Bagels and Lox
How to serve lox and bagels
Don’t over complicate this! If you are serving a whole family, try serving this up buffet style. Toast the bagels, get the salmon slices ready, put a knife in the cream cheese, and put all your favorite fixings on a platter. Holler at your family to come and get it!
Where do lox and bagels originate from?
I absolutely love learning the origin of foods. Lox and bagels have a mysterious origin. No one can pin point exactly when the smoked salmon and bagels met and married, but here’s what we do know: Salt brined salmon was perfected in Scandinavia. Bagels were perfected in Italy in the 14th century. Some say this is a uniquely American dish.
Other Easy Breakfast Ideas
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Italian Vegetables
- Creamy Lobster Pasta
- Italian Anise Cookies
- Prosciutto Wrapped Parmesan Green Bean Bundles
- Turkey Pozole
Healthy Lox and Bagels with Cucumber Sauce
Lox and Bagels
Smoked salmon with cream cheese on perfectly toasted bagels is a satisfyingly delicious breakfast! Topped with a special cucumber sauce, these lox and bagels are packed with flavor!
- 6 New York Style Bagels
- 1 lb smoked salmon
- 8 oz cream cheese divided
- 1 TBS capers
For the cucumber sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS fresh dill
- 4 TBS cream cheese
Halve all the bagels and lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Broil them in the oven for 3-5 minutes until they are browned and toasted.
Remove the bagels from the oven. Add a dollop of cream cheese to each bagel and spread around. Add 2 oz of salmon on top of the cream cheese bagel.
Combine the cucumber, fresh dill, lemon juice and cream cheese in a blender. Blend until smooth. Drizzle the sauce on to the salmon and bagel. Top with your favorite toppings like capers and more dill. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!