This loaded vegetable fajita bowl is piled high with perfectly seared and seasoned vegetables to make your lunch healthy, easy, and delicious!Jump to Recipe
Veggie rice bowl recipe
Is it ok to admit lunchtime is my least favorite meal of the day? I am always so busy that by the time my stomach is growling, I am too busy to stop what I am doing and cook. Meal prepping ahead of time is the only way I can ensure I will eat lunch.
I am always looking for lunches that I can make ahead of time and keep in the fridge for a few days. Vegetable fajita rice bowls fit the bill! They are quick and easy to prepare, healthy, filling, and cheap!
These veggie rice bowls are seasoned perfectly with a homemade fajita mix, then seared so they are softened slightly but still maintain that delicious crunch.
First, you load up your bowl with rice or whatever grain you’d like. I have a few recommendations on ways to switch it up under “chef’s tips.” Next, layer the bowl with the black beans, corn, and the seared fajita vegetables. Lastly, you can add the final touches like cotija cheese, Mexican crema, avocados, etc.
Fajita rice bowl ingredients
- Bell peppers– I like to use a blend of colors to my plate, so I used half of an orange and red bell pepper to vary it up!
- Red onion– Red onion is sliced and seared with the bell peppers to combine the flavors.
- Fajita spice mix– You can use any fajita spice mixture you have on hand, or you can make it yourself!
- Canned southwest corn– Southwest seasoned corn can be found in the canned vegetable aisle of your local grocery store. It has minimal, clean ingredients and adds the perfect layer of flavor.
- Canned black beans– You can use dried beans if you have them on hand, but I like the convenience of canned beans because all you have to do is drain and rinse!
- Rice– White rice or brown rice is perfect for this fajita bowl!
Make it your own
You can easily customize this veggie fajita bowl to make it extra delicious! Adding extra ingredients will add even more flavor! Here are a few of my favorite additions:
- Pico de gallo
- Cotija cheese
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- Quinoa/brown rice/cauliflower rice
Make it even faster
The longest portion of making this dish was cooking the rice. You can make this dish even faster by using quick cooking rice or cooking the rice ahead of time.
You can cook and freeze rice which has saved me tons of time in the kitchen! When you are ready to defrost the rice, you can pop it in the microwave and cook it for about 2-5 minutes depending on the size of the individual portion.
How to make loaded vegetable fajita rice bowls
- Cook the rice. The rice takes the longest to cook, so start with this step first. Cook the rice according to package instructions. When it is done cooking, fluff the rice and place it to the side.
- Sear the vegetables. Heat your cast iron or heavy bottom pan on medium-high heat. Place the olive oil in the pan, it should shimmer right away since the pan is already hot. Add the fajita seasoning to the oil, stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the vegetables and stir to combine well. Cook the vegetables for 5-7 minutes until they are slightly browned on the edges.
- Build the rice bowl. Plate the rice in individual bowls. Drain and rinse the beans, then add them to the rice bowls. Drain the corn, then add it to the bowl. Top the rice bowls with the seared fajita vegetables. Add any additional ingredients to make this bowl your own. Mangia!
More easy lunch ideas
- These easy make ahead school lunches are healthy, packed with fruits and vegetables, and take just a few minutes to prepare so you are ready to go for the hectic weekdays!
- Chicken quesadillas with chipotle lime sauce are easy and quick to make for lunch or dinner and are packed with smoky, tangy flavors and tons of cheese!
- Italian lemon orzo salad is made with juicy cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, orzo pasta, and more! This is a perfect 15-minute meal!
- Caprese stuffed avocados are loaded with mozzarella pearls, fresh tomatoes, and basil. The balsamic drizzle brings all the delicious ingredients together for a nice and easy snack!
- Vegetarian tostadas with refried beans is an easy 10 minute meal that is healthy, delicious, and filling.
More Backyard Bohemian classics
- New Orleans King Cake
- Lemon Garlic Broccolini
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Caesar Salad
- Cranberry Orange Biscotti
Loaded Vegetable Fajita Rice Bowl
This loaded vegetable fajita rice bowl is piled high with perfectly seared and seasoned vegetables to make your lunch healthy, easy, and delicious!
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fajita mix
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced into 1/4" thick slices
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced into 1/4" thick slices
- 15.25 oz can southwest corn
- 15 oz can black beans
- cotija cheese
- Mexican crema
Cook the rice. Heat 2 cups of water over high heat in a medium sized pot. Cook the rice according to package instructions. Once the rice is done cooking, fluff it and place it to the side.
Sear the fajita vegetables. Heat a cast iron pan or a heavy bottom pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the olive oil, it should shimmer right away. Add the fajita spice blend to the olive oil and cook for 1-2 minutes until it is very fragrant. Add the vegetables to the pan and stir to coat the vegetables in the spice blend. Cook the vegetables for 5-7 minutes until the edges of the vegetables are browned.
Prepare the corn and beans. Drain the corn. Drain and rinse the beans.
Build the rice bowl. Place the rice in an individual bowl. Build the bowl by adding a serving of corn, beans, then topping with the seared fajita vegetables, and any other additional toppings. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!