Fresh squeezed lemon and garden picked basil light up this fresh spaghetti squash meal! Drizzled olive oil with a hint of garlic and creamy ricotta cheese accents the nutty flavor of the squash, giving this dish layers of flavor!
Lemony Ricotta Pasta With Basil
I know I am not the only woman who goes into the store for some diapers and comes out with a whole grocery cart. I walk in, take a sharp right to the produce section, and stock up on all of the goodies my kids have completely devoured (with zero remorse). Before I know it, I’m walking out wondering how a $25 dollar pack of diapers turned into a $150 bill. Whatever, I got some seriously gorgeous spaghetti squash!
I was just waiting for the perfect moment to cook this squash up. The weekend slowed down to a manageable pace where I was able to think clearly for one second. I finally had the perfect moment to create this ultra-simple dish, making sure each ingredient spoke for itself.
Spaghetti squash isn’t the first vegetable to come to mind when it comes to Summer dishes, but it certainly provides the perfect crunch to this dish! The nutty flavor of the spaghetti squash pairs beautifully with the peppery boldness of the fresh basil. A thin coat of olive oil helps spread the ricotta cheese throughout the dish, giving it a smooth and creamy taste.
Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Lemon, Basil and Ricotta Cheese
Tips on how to cut spaghetti squash:
- Take a peeler, and peel a line around the squash vertically. Use a sharp knife and cut the squash in half.
- Using s sharp knife, poke holes along the squash vertically. Place the squash (one at a time) in the microwave for 5 minutes a piece. Carefully remove from the microwave and cut along the dotted line.
How to roast a spaghetti squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half using the tips from above.
- Scoop out the insides of the squash and discard.
- Rub olive oil on the inside of the squash. Sprinkle salt and pepper, then place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Poke holes in the skin of the squash with a fork.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast for 30- 40 minutes, or until fork tender. Lager squash will take 40 minutes, or longer. I like my noodles al dente, so 30 minutes seems to be the sweet spot.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Recipe
How to make Lemon and Basil Ricotta Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, discarding the insides.
- Place the cut side of the squash down on a baking sheet. Poke holes in the skin with a fork. Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- When squash is done cooking, shred the squash with a fork, creating the noodles. Place noodles in a bowl, and toss in the lemon, olive oil, salt, basil, garlic powder, and ricotta. Replate in the squash skin, and mangia!
What ingredients are needed for basil lemon ricotta spaghetti squash?
- 2 spaghetti squashes
- olive oil
- ricotta cheese
- garlic powder
Other spaghetti squash recipes:
- Taco Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
- Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
Backyard Bohemian Pasta Dishes:
- Penne au Gratin made easy! This saucy meal is the soul food of all American- Italian food! Spicy Italian sausage is pan seared with peppers and mushrooms, and baked in alla vodka sauce with loads of cheese and penne pasta. This is a fabulous meal to feed a large hungry family!
- This Red Wine Pasta Sauce is full of robust flavors, making this sauce a meal in itself! This simple 10 ingredient sauce will have you swearing off canned sauce for good! Bold red wine, Italian herbs, and a pinch of honey makes this sauce an absolute hit!
- Easy Stuffed Shells With Spinach is a dish that calls for elegant simplicity. Red wine sauce from scratch compliments the herb and spinach ricotta that fills the al dente shells. This is an effortlessly delicious classic!
- This easy, simple ingredient, 20 Minute Creamy Lemon Orzo With Salmon is a fresh tasting meal. With light hints of lemon and Parmesan cheese, this dinner is satisfyingly delicious.
Spaghetti Squash With Lemon, Basil, and Ricotta
Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti Squash
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 3 TBS olive oil divided
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
Preheat oven to 400° F. Using a very sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash vertically in half. For easier tips on cutting, see blog post. Scoop out the center, discarding seeds. Using 1 TBS of olive oil, grease the insides of the squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Lay the squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Using a fork, poke holes in the skin. Place in oven and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
Once the squash is done cooking, let cool for 10 minutes. Using a towel to hold the squash since the it will still be very warm, scrape your fork horizontally across, creating "strands" of spaghetti. Scrape all the strands out of the squash and into a large bowl.
Once all the squashes have been scraped, you can discard the skin, or keep to replate. Add olive oil, lemon juice, ricotta, garlic powder, salt and fresh basil to the bowl. Stir to combine. Replate in the squash skin, or serve up as is! Mangia!