Corned Beef and Cabbage is made quickly in the Instant Pot and tastes like it has been simmering on the stove for hours! Bold flavors of ginger, allspice, and clove give this dish an unforgettable flavor.Jump to Recipe
Easy Instant Pot Corned Beef with Vegetables
There’s a few things I can count on that may kids will eat seconds, thirds, sometimes fourths of… corned beef is one. I can’t blame them, though. This classic Irish dish makes it’s rounds every year, and with much anticipation!
Fresh ginger, aromatic spices, and vegetables simmer with a beef brisket to really lock in that delicious flavor. The result is a tender brisket with deep, warming flavors that will have you hooked.
The best part? This dish traditionally takes hours to cook. With an Instant Pot, you have a full dinner cooked and ready in 90 minutes. Less energy, time in the kitchen, and dishes! Score!
Ditch the spice pack and opt for bolder, more delicious flavor. These flavors cannot be contained in one little spice pack, and you’ll see why!
Why use the Instant Pot to make Corned Beef
- It uses less energy. Instead of simmering corned beef for hours on end on a stove top, the Instant Pot will create the same flavor and texture in 90 minutes, creating less energy waste.
- It takes less time to cook. Ninety minutes in the Instant Pot compared to hours of stove top simmering, you do the math.
- The brisket comes out perfectly tender. There is no need to worry whether the Instant Pot will create a perfect tender brisket. The brisket will hold its shape, but will shred easily with a fork.
- The vegetables take only three minutes to cook. After the brisket is done cooking, you can throw in your favorite vegetables into the broth and cook them for an additional 3 minutes.
Corned Beef Ingredients
- Beef Brisket- For this recipe, we will use the corned beef brisket that comes with the spice pack. This corned beef is already brined and ready to be cooked. If you are buying a fresh beef brisket from scratch, you will want to brine it beforehand.
- Produce- Carrots, celery, garlic and onion are added to the process to enhance the flavors of the brisket and the broth that will be used to cook the vegetables in after.
- Spices-Peppercorns, mustard, bay leaves, coriander, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and ground clove is used to create a deep and aromatic flavor and smell!
How to make Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage
- Mise en place. Grab all your ingredients and gather around the Instant Pot. Rough chop the celery, carrots, garlic and onion.
- Add the celery, carrots, garlic and onion to the pot. Toss everything in there, no need for precision on this easy recipe!
- Place the brisket on top of the vegetables. Lay the brisket fat side facing up on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the spices on top of the brisket. Add the peppercorns, mustard, bay leaves, coriander, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, and ground clove in to the pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 90 minutes. Allow 20 minutes for the pressure to build up in the Intant Pot before it starts clocking the 90 minute cook time. The Instant Pot will automatically do this after the lid is closed.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure. Do not turn the nozzle to quick release the pressure. Allow for 20 minutes of natural release until you turn the nozzle for a quick release.
- Remove the brisket from the Instant Pot. Once the brisket is done cooking, remove it and place it on a cutting board to rest.
- Strain the broth from the vegetables. Save 1 1/2 cup of the broth and return it to the pot.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage wedges to the pot. Pour the broth over them. Add the lid back on to the Instant Pot. Cook the vegetables on high pressure for three minutes, using the quick release method once they are done cooking.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve this corned beef with vegetables dish with old English mustard, make a gravy with the broth, or just eat it!
How to store corned beef
In the fridge
Place the corned beef and vegetables in a glass container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
In the freezer
Place the corned beef and potatoes and carrots into an airtight glass container and freeze for 2-3 months. It is not recommended to freeze the cabbage, as it will compromise the texture and taste.
How to reheat
Reheat the corned beef and vegetables by heating the oven to 350°F and cooking for 15 minutes.
What goes with corned beef and vegetables
- Beer and Bacon Brussles is a great, bold vegetable side that would pair well with the flavors of the corned beef.
- Classic Potato Latkes is a vegetable side dish that everyone in the family will enjoy.
- Easy Stove Top Parmesan Creamed Corn is an easy 10 minute side dish that tastes phenomenal.
- Colcannon is a delicious combination of cabbage and mashed potatoes that you will devour!
- Irish soda bread is a perfect side for this traditional corned beef recipe.
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Antipasto Quinoa Salad
- White Wine Vinaigrette
- Baked Honey Sriracha Salmon
- Valentine’s Day Charcuterie Board
- Valentine’s Day Aphrodisiac Recipes
Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage
Corned Beef and Cabbage is made quickly in the Instant Pot and tastes like it has been simmering on the stove for hours! Bold flavors of ginger, allspice, and clove give this dish an unforgettable flavor.
- 1 4 lb corned beef brisket
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots rough chopped
- 2 celery stalks rough chopped
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups of water
For the vegetables
- 1 1/2 cup broth of the corned beef reserved
- 1 lb mini potatoes
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 medium sized head of cabbage
Remove the brisket from the packaging. Pat dry the brisket and place to the side. Discard the spice packet included with the brisket.
Rough chop the garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Place them into the Instant Pot. Place the brisket on top of the vegetable mixture.
Add the peppercorns, ground mustard, allspice, cinnamon, clove, ginger, coriander, and bay leaves in to the pot. Add the water.
Secure the Instant Pot lid and seal it. Put the Instant Pot of high pressure for 90 minutes.
When the Instant Pot is done cooking, allow 20 minutes of natural release, meaning do not touch the release nozzle. Once 20 minutes has passed, do a quick release and remove the lid.
Remove the brisket and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Drain the broth and save 1 1/2 cups of the broth and return it to the pot.
Add the carrots, potatoes and cabbage wedges to the pot. Place the lid on and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release on the Instant Pot, then open the lid.
Cut the brisket into 1/2 inch slices, plate with the vegetables and enjoy! Mangia!