Vanilla extract is made easily with only Kraken rum, vanilla beans, and some time. Making this extract is cost effective and down right delicious!Jump to Recipe
Vanilla Extract with Rum
Am I the only sucker who needs something sweet after dinner? I know how bad sugar is, but I seriously enjoy something sweet and delicious to end the day.
Since I bake so much and enjoy making everything from scratch, it was just the natural next step to make vanilla extract from scratch using a rum that already has a great flavor.
I can’t wait for ya’ll to taste the difference between store bought vanilla extract and this one! I have used this recipe for years, and I always miss it when I let it run out.
Easy Vanilla Extract
Ingredients to make vanilla extract
- Vanilla beans
Tips to make vanilla extract
- Use 80 proof alcohol. Rum is my preferred alcohol to use for this vanilla extract. It’s flavor is only enhanced by the vanilla beans and it really adds a depth to your baked goods that is indescribable. Vodka is a commonly used alcohol for creating extracts. Good quality vodka will take on the flavor of anything and should not have much of a flavor.
- Use the right amount of vanilla beans. Use about 5 vanilla beans per 8 oz of alcohol.
- Let is sit in a cool, dark place for a minimum of 8 weeks. Shake the bottle every few days, but patience is key to this extract! The longer the vanilla has to extract, the deeper the flavor will be!
Different types of vanilla beans
- Madagascar vanilla– creamy and bold flavor
- Mexican vanilla- robust, smooth
- Tahitian vanilla- the most common vanilla, floral and rich
What types of alcohol to use
Vodka is a great base for an extract. A good quality distilled vodka will be virtually odorless and tasteless. It will be able to extract and take on the vanilla flavor very easily. Bourbon, brandy, and rum all make for fun alcohols to use in extractions as well. The alcohol must be 80 proof or more to properly extract the vanilla oils. Whatever you choose, the alcohol does not need to be top shelf. I don’t recommend using the most cheap bottle you can find, but something in the middle that is sturdy and reliable.
How to make rum vanilla extract
- Slice the vanilla beans lengthwise with a sharp paring knife. In half of the vanilla beans, scrape the insides and place in the alcohol.
- Put the sliced vanilla beans into the alcohol and make sure they are submerged. I placed mine right in the original bottle. Literally opened it and plopped them in there.
- Let it sit and extract for a minimum of 8 weeks or up to 6 months.
Recipes using vanilla extract
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Cheesy Baked Tortellini with Chicken Gratinati
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Soft Pretzels
- Pumpkin Pie From Scratch
- 2 Ingredient Homemade Corn Tortillas
- Crispy Chicken In White Wine Pan Sauce
Vanilla extract is made easily with only Kraken rum, vanilla beans, and some time. Making this extract is cost effective and down right delicious!
- 1 750 ml bottle of Kraken Rum
- 15-20 vanilla beans
Open the bottle of rum. Slice the vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrap the insides of half the vanilla beans and put it in the bottle of alcohol. Place all the vanilla beans in the bottle of rum.
Place the lid back on the bottle of rum. Give it a good shake, then place in a cool, dark place for a minimum of 8 weeks.
When ready to use, just measure right out of the bottle! Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!