Once you taste these home made flour tortillas, you will never want to buy store bought again! There is nothing better than a warm tortilla fresh off the cast iron! These tortillas are pliable, and perfect sized! When making these, the dough should be a little sticky, but not enough to be sticking to your hands. In more humid places, you may need to add a bit more flour to the recipe. Here in Florida, its Sep 9, 87 degrees, abd 62% humidity. I ended up having to add two extra tablespoons to my dough to get the right consistency. Once the dough balls are rolled out into flat disks, you cannot roll it back up and try to roll to a disk again. The dough just does not stretch the same way, and will spring back while trying to flatten it. While rolling the disk shape out, roll in one direction, clockwise to help create the circle. Have fun and enjoy!
Makes 8 tortillas
- 2 cups of flour ( plus 2 TBS,read note above)
- 3 TBS butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir to combine.
- Melt butter, and add to the flour mixture. Stir to lightly encorporate.
- Slowly add water while stiring until the dough comes together. Now get dirty and throw your hands in there. Kneed the dough for a couple minutes.
- Break the dough into 8 smaller balls, and let rest for 45 min. Do not skip this step.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a disk shape.
- Heat pan to medium heat. When hot, toss the tortilla onto the pan, and let cook for 30-45 seconds. Flip and repeat. Enjoy!