Baked breakfast taquitos are stuffed with hot sausage, eggs, diced chilis, and Mexican cheese for an easy and delicious on the go breakfast! Enjoy these taquitos anytime, anywhere!Jump to Recipe
Sausage and egg breakfast taquitos
Is it hard for you to commit to eating a real breakfast? Some days (and by that, I mean most), I zip around the house with my three kids running off of two coffees, and by 11 AM I’m hungry because I forgot to eat. Oops.
These taquitos are exactly what those mad dash mornings are made for. They are fast and easy to make, can be stored in the fridge or freezer, and they are quick to reheat!
Baking these taquitos is the healthy, locking in all the delicious flavors! The hot sausage and diced chili peppers bring a little heat, while the eggs and melted cheese add layers of flavor and deliciousness! The flour tortillas are baked to a crunch, which really kicks this up a notch.
Baked breakfast taquito ingredients
- Hot sausage- You can opt for any kind of sausage you would like, but I like a little spice, so hot sausage was perfect for this recipe.
- Scrambled eggs- Eggs are the perfect protein packed filler for these taquitos.
- Spinach- Adding a bit of chopped spinach adds some greenery and an extra boost of protein to these.
- Red bell pepper- add some extra crunch, color, and flavor with a small red bell pepper.
- Onion- A yellow or white onion will add flavor and texture.
- Diced chillis- A small can of diced chillis will add a little hydration and flavor.
- Shredded Mexican cheese- Sprinkle a little dash of cheese into each taquito.
- Flour tortillas- Small flour tortillas are the perfect size for these quick, handheld breakfast taquitos.
- Salsa verde OR salsa– These taquitos are delicious when dipped in salsa or salsa Verde! This ingredient is optional, although, highly recommended.
- Make this vegan. Instead of adding scrambled eggs and sausage, use scrambled tofu. Add yeast seasoning and salt to create a likeness to scrambled eggs.
- Add your own additions. Add whatever additional ingredients you like! Jalapeños, cauliflower rice, different meats, etc. can really create a delicious spinoff.
- Freeze them. If you want to preserve them to help create easy breakfasts that are on the go in time for school, freeze these taquitos in a single layer. Place them in a ziplock bag once they are frozen.
How to make them
- Prepare the ingredients. First, cook the sausage thoroughly. Next, sauté the onion and bell pepper. Push the onion and bell pepper to the side of the pan and add the eggs. Scramble the eggs, then toss in the sausage and chopped spinach and mix to combine. Add the diced chilis.
- Stuff the flour tortillas. Add a pinch of cheese to each flour tortilla, then about 1/4 cup of the egg and sausage mixture. Fold the tortillas by tucking the bottom over the mixture, then tuck the sides, and roll the tortilla. Place the tortilla seam down on a baking sheet.
- Bake the taquitos. Use a pastry brush to brush the flour tortillas with a little oil (coconut or olive oil). Bake the taquitos at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until the flour tortillas are crispy.
How to freeze and reheat
How long do they keep in the fridge
These breakfast taquitos can last in the fridge for 4 days. Since this is not very long, freezing them is a great option!
How to freeze taquitos
Place the breakfast taquitos in a single layer in the freezer. Allow the taquitos to freeze thoroughly, Place them in an airtight container. They will keep in the freezer for 6 months.
How to reheat the taquitos
Place the taquitos in the oven at 350 degrees, then cook them for 10-15 minutes.
You can reheat them in the microwave by cooking them for 2 minutes.
More Backyard Bohemian classics
- Caramel Dutch Apple Pie
- Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Margarita Guacamole
- Vegetable Stir Fry
- Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Skillet
- Loaded Vegetable Fajita Bowl
Crispy Baked Breakfast Taquitos
Baked breakfast taquitos are stuffed with hot sausage, eggs, diced chilis, and Mexican cheese for an easy and delicious on the go breakfast! Enjoy these taquitos anytime, anywhere!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 lb hot sausage (ground)
- 1 4 oz can of diced chilis
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheee
- 1/4 cup salsa optional
- 20 small flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil melted
Cook the sausage in a large pan until thoroughly cooked, then remove from the pan, leaving the grease in the pan. Prepare the eggs by cracking them in a separate bowl and whisking together. Sauté the onion and bell pepper in the pan for 3 minutes. Push the onion and pepper to the side of the pan, then add the eggs. Scramble the eggs until they are well cooked. Toss the eggs with the onion and pepper, then add the sausage, salt, diced chilis, and spinach. Add the (optional) salsa and mix to combine.
Stuff the tortillas by laying the tortilla flat. Add a pinch of cheese in the center, then add a heaping 1/4 cup of the egg and sausage mixture in the center over the cheese. Fold the bottom half of the tortilla over the mixture, then tuck the sides in, and roll the tortilla. Place the tortilla seam down on a baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to brush the oil on the tortillas.
Bake the tortillas for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees. Serve immediatly or place them in the fridge to preserve. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!