This creamy Cajun chicken pasta is exploding with cheesy sauce, juicy chicken, fresh tomatoes, and so much flavor! This 20 minute meal will have the whole family coming back for more!Jump to Recipe
Cajun chicken pasta
Thirty minute meals are my JAM! There is nothing more exciting than whipping up a fabulous meal that the whole family will love in minimum time! This cajun chicken pasta is a winner!!
Consider this cajun chicken pasta a copycat Applebee’s recipe… but with more flavor. This pasta dish is packed with juicy pan seared chicken breasts, fresh tomatoes, creamy sauce, and al dente pasta. This is a solid combination of ingredients your family will absolutely love!
Why this chicken cajun pasta rocks
- It’s ready in 30 minutes. This is not one of those “thirty minute meals” that really means 30 minutes of prep and another 30 minutes of cooking. Nay, nay. This cajun chicken pasta dish is ready in 30 minutes or under, including prep and cook time. It’s simple, cooks quickly, and uses minimum dishes- score.
- The.flavors. are. INSANE!! The cajun chicken packs a little bit of heat and the creamy sauce introduces a delectable flavor. The juicy tomatoes top the pasta dish and are such a great way to add freshness to finish it off!
- It makes enough for everyone. I have three growing (and extremely hungry) kids. This pasta dish made enough for everyone to have seconds and even thirds. It makes a lot, which is great for growing families like my own!
Creamy Cajun chicken pasta ingredients
- Penne pasta– Cook the pasta to al dente so it has the perfect crunch in the middle!
- Butter– Salted butter is used to sautè the onion and garlic.
- Onion and garlic– These ingredients help build the base of the cajun cream sauce.
- Chicken breasts– Slice the chicken breasts in half so they cook faster but stay juicy!
- Cajun seasoning– Store bought Cajun seasoning makes this recipe a breeze!
- Heavy cream– The sauce is made with mostly heavy cream.
- Parmesan cheese– Just a bit of parmesan cheese gives the sauce a rich, salty flavor.
- Hot sauce– Add a dash of hot sauce to the sauce to really kick up the flavor.
- Roma tomatoes– Top the dish with chopped tomatoes to add some freshness.
Make it your own
This Cajun chicken pasta dish is super customizable. Here are a few ingredients you can add that will really elevate this dish.
- More cheese like parmesan, mozzarella, or even cotija.
- Sliced bell peppers
- Cayenne- If you like a little more heat than what the Cajun seasoning provides, sprinkle a little cayenne over the dish or on the chicken breasts before cooking.
How to store Cajun chicken pasta
You can store this dish in the fridge for up to 4 days. Place the leftovers in an airtight container and store until you are ready to eat.
How to reheat
You can easily reheat this pasta dish in the microwave. Simple pop it in a microwave safe dish and place in the microwave for 2 or more minutes.
I recommend adding a splash of heavy cream, as the sauce tends to dry up a bit in the fridge. If you don’t have extra cream, water or milk will work as well.
How to make Cajun chicken pasta?
- Sear the chicken breasts. Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a pan. Slice the chicken breasts so they are 1/2″ thick. Season the chicken breasts with Cajun seasoning. Place the chicken in the pan and sear on each side for about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken once it is cooked through and place it to the side. Keep the butter in the pan.
- Boil the pasta. While the chicken is cooking, boil the pasta. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a roaring boil. Cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Drain the pasta and place it to the side.
- Make the sauce. In the same pan the chicken was cooked in, melt the rest of the butter. Add the onion and garlic and sautè for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring it to a light boil, then add the parmesan cheese and hot sauce, and stir until it is melted and combined. Reduce the heat to low, then toss in the pasta. Stir until the pasta is well coated.
- Garnish the dish. Halve the Roma tomatoes, then discard the seeds. Dice the tomatoes. Serve the pasta in individual bowls, then top with the sliced chicken breasts and tomatoes. Mangia!
What to serve with Cajun chicken pasta
- Oven roasted asparagus is such an easy side dish that is healthy, delicious, and fast cooking.
- Crispy garlic pan fried broccoli florets is easy, delicious, and slightly addicting!
- Sweet potato and green beans are tossed in a full-bodied olive oil with raw garlic and fresh thyme, then roasted to perfection! These roasted vegetables are healthy and delicious.
- Crusty French Bread Rolls are chewy, crusty, and soft and fluffy on the inside. These rolls are so delicious when they are hot out of the oven and are the perfect staple on your dinner table!
More Backyard Bohemian classics
- Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas + Steps to the Perfect Family Valentine Basket
- Italian Chicken Wraps
- Levi’s Best Brownies
- New Orleans King Cake
- Lemon Garlic Broccolini
Cajun Chicken Pasta
This creamy cajun chicken pasta is exploding with cheesy sauce, juicy chicken, fresh tomatoes, and so much flavor! This 20 minute meal will have the whole family coming back for more!
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 4 tbsp salted butter divided
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut to 1/2" thickness
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 3 plum tomatoes deseeded, diced
Cook the chicken. Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a pan over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts with Cajun seasoning on both sides. Place the chicken in the pan and sear on each side for 5 minutes, until it is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and place it to the side. Keep the butter in the pan. Allow the chicken breasts to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing into strips.
Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a roaring boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente, according to package instructions. Drain the pasta and place it to the side.
Make the sauce. Melt the rest of the butter in the same pan the chicken was cooked in. Add the onion and garlic and sautè for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring it to a light boil. Add the parmesan cheese and hot sauce and stir until it is well combined and melted. Toss the pasta in the sauce.
Put the dish together. Plate the pasta in individual bowls, then top with the chicken slices and diced tomatoes. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!