Creamy and light Corn and Zucchini Chowder is an easy one pot, 30 minute meal that combines all the summer fresh flavors. Fresh herbs like dill and thyme help enhance the flavors of the summer produce.Jump to Recipe
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Is it just me, or is a piping hot bowl of soup still perfectly acceptable in the midst of 90-degree weather? Especially when I am caught in that weird transition from summer to fall. I ama graciously enjoying the last bits of summer, as fall is slowly creeping behind, turning the sparsely sprinkled Florida oaks into glamorous reds.
I have been serving up all sorts of soups lately, like my Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup or my Easy and Creamy Cauliflower Soup. I simple cannot get enough of a big warming bowl of soup, and of course, there is bread. Lots and lots of crunchy, crusty bread.
Chowder is one of my favorite soups. It can have a thick base, like New England Clam Chowder or have a thinner base, like this recipe here. Since this recipe highlights summer produce, it has a thinner base so it doesn’t feel so heavy. It’s called balance, people. Soup in the summer requires it, ha!
Corn Chowder Recipe
Corn and Zucchini Cowder Ingredients:
- bacon strips
- summer squash
- chicken stock
- half and half
Tips to make summer fresh corn chowder:
- Use canned corn to make this easier and quicker!
- Use fresh herbs for not only garnish, but in the soup.
- Top with paprika for a pop of color and a pinch of taste.
Healthy Zucchini Corn Chowder
Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe
- In a medium pot, cook bacon until well done. Remove from the pot, and place to the side.
- Melt butter in the pot along with the bacon grease.
- Return the pan to the stove, and melt the butter. Finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Dice the potatoes, summer squash, and zucchini and place in the pot. Drain the can of corn and add to the pot.
- Pour in the liquids and stir. Add the dill and thyme. Let the pot come to a light boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, then serve immediately to all the hungry mouths. Don’t forget the crusty bread!
Other Warming Soup Recipes:
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Southern Low Country Boil With Cajun Lemon Butter
- Maple and Pecan Crusted Rack of Lamb
- Italian Stuffed Whole Pompano
- Healthy Fresh Strawberry Soufflé
- Pancake Breakfast Board
Creamy Corn Chowder
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
Creamy and light Corn and Zucchini Chowder is an easy one pot, 30 minute meal that combines all the summer fresh flavors. Fresh herbs like dill and thyme help enhance the flavors of the summer produce.
- 3 slices of bacon
- 3 TBS butter
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can of corn drained
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 1 summer squash sliced
- 3 russet potatoes diced into bite size pieces
- 2 TBS fresh dill
- 2 TBS fresh thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
In a medium pot, cook bacon over medium heat until it is done. Remove the bacon from the pan, and place to the side. Leave the grease in the pan.
Add butter to the pan and let it melt. Add onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add corn, zucchini, summer squash, russet potatoes, fresh thyme and fresh dill to the pan. Add chicken broth and half and half. Stir to combine. Bring the pot to a light boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes to allow the vegetables to get soft. Serve with crumpled bacon on top and a pinch of paprika for some added color! Mangia!