Creamy grape tomato bisque with pesto provolone grilled cheese is a perfect summertime meal that combines all the seasonal flavors. This easy vegetarian meal kicks this classic dish up a notch!Jump to Recipe
Roasted tomato soup
Eating soup in the summertime in Florida sounds like a bad idea. BUT it’s literally always summertime here and I love a warm, comforting bowl of soup, so maybe it’s actually the best idea!
This roasted tomato soup and scrumptious pesto provolone grilled cheese is full of summertime freshness! Juicy sun ripened cherry tomatoes are roasted with onion and garlic, then simmered with heavy cream to create a thick and flavorful bisque. The fresh basil pesto combined with melted provolone is next level YUM.
Levi and I have had this argument for years. He claims that tomato soup and grilled cheese is the epitome of comfort food, and I just can’t seem to get aboard. Let me tell you what… I think I just might agree after this recipe.
The key to making this is to use the freshest ingredients you can source. The more flavorful the basil and tomatoes, the better the flavor! This tomato soup will have you ditching the canned soup and never turn back!
Roasted tomato bisque ingredients
- Grape tomatoes– Sweet, juicy grape (or cherry!) tomatoes give this tomato soup a unique and slightly sweet flavor.
- Onion– Roasting an onion for this soup helps bring out a delicious and fresh flavor.
- Garlic– Nothing is ever complete without loads of garlic.
- Thyme– Fresh thyme really brings together the tomatoes and lemon.
- Olive oil– Extra virgin olive oil is used to roast the vegetables but also adds a silkiness to the soup.
- Lemon– Lemons are roasted with the vegetables, then disagreed after simmering to extract the lemon oil.
- Basil– Fresh basil and tomatoes= true love 4eva.
- Heavy cream– Adding heavy cream thickens the tomato soup and adds a delicious creaminess.
Pesto provolone grilled cheese ingredients
- Bread– Use your favorite type of bread! My favorite is sour dough or rye!
- Butter– A good quality salted butter will really elevate this grilled cheese.
- Provolone cheese– This recipe uses non smoked provolone, but if you want to add a smokey touch to the sweetness of the tomato soup, go for it!
- Pesto sauce- You can buy a store bought pesto, but if you have time, I really recommend making it from scratch. Pesto always tastes better when it’s fresh and homemade.
How to make roasted tomato bisque with provolone grilled cheese
- Roast the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tomatoes, quartered onion, and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle thyme over the vegetables, then squeeze some lemon juice over them. Place the lemon halves on the baking sheet, then roast the vegetables for 20 minutes.
- Simmer in a pot. Once the vegetables are roasted, transfer them to a pot. Simmer the bisque for 20 minutes. Once done, remove the lemon halves. Add the fresh basil and the heavy cream, then use an emersion blender to blend it for a smooth consistency.
- Make the grilled cheese. Butter the slices of bread. Place 2 pieces of provolone cheese on the bread, smearing a couple of tablespoons of pesto between the cheese slices. Top with another piece of buttered bread, then toast the grilled cheese sandwich in a hot cast iron pan until the bread is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve. Pour the tomato bisque into individual bowls, then add a grilled cheese to the side. Mangia!
More Backyard Bohemian classics
- Caramel Dutch Apple Pie
- Chorizo and Shrimp Quesadillas with Margarita Guacamole
- Vegetable Stir Fry
- Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Skillet
- Loaded Vegetable Fajita Bowl
Creamy Grape Tomato Bisque With Pesto Provolone Grilled Cheese
Creamy grape tomato bisque with pesto provolone grilled cheese is a perfect summertime meal that combines all the seasonal flavors. This easy vegetarian meal kicks this classic dish up a notch!
- 1 lb grape tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion coarsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup fresh basil divided
- salt & pepper
Pesto provolone grilled cheese
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 8 oz non smoked provolone cheese
- sliced bread
- 4 tbsp salted butter
Roast the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the grape tomatoes, onion, and garlic on it. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and toss in the thyme. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Squeeze 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice over the vegetables, then place the lemon on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast the vegetables for 20 minutes, or until the tomatoes start to blister.
Simmer the bisque. Remove the vegetbales from the oven, then place in a large pot. Allow them to simmer for 20 minutes. Once done, remove the lemon halves. Add half of the basil and the heavy cream to the pot. Use an emersion blender to blend the bisque until the texture is smooth and silky.
Pesto provolone grilled cheese
Melt the butter in a large pan over medium or medium low heat. Grabbing two slices of bread, spread the pesto on one slice, then top with 2 pieves of provolone cheese. Place the other piece of bread on top, then place in the pan. Cook the grilled cheese for 2-5 minutes on each side, until the bread is toasdtedand golden brown. Flip the sanwhich and allow the other side to toast.
Use a ladle to serve the bisque into individual bowls. Top with more basil and a drizzle of heavy cream. Place the pesto provolone grilled cheese sandwich on the side. Mangia!
GRAB OUR PERFECT PANTRY CHECKLIST
No more asking your spouse what's for dinner! Grab our Perfect Pantry Checklist + 12 bonus recipes right now!