Oven roasted asparagus is such an easy side dish that is healthy, delicious, and fast cooking.Jump to Recipe
Easy Asparagus Recipe
As a young cook, I detested roasting asparagus. It was always soggy, the asparagus was limp, and basically I’d throw my nose up in the air. I also knew how healthy asparagus was… something had to give.
Did you know that a common issue with roasting asparagus in the oven is that is overcooks super easily? It does not need much more than 5 minutes for normal sized asparagus spears. Large ones can take 8 minutes maximum.
It’s such a fast side dish to just pop in the oven real quick and toss on your plate. You don’t have to stand over a pan, baby sit any skillet, just put a timer on for five minutes, and do ya thang!
- Asparagus– Opting for thinner spears will result in a shorter cooking time. Thick spears of asparagus generally take 8 minutes to cook.
- Olive oil– If you have a specialty olive oil company near you, go ahead and slather on a fun flavor!
- Garlic powder- Just sprinkle a little garlic powder on the asparagus after brushing them with olive oil.
- Salt– A pinch of salt will greatly enhance the flavor combination of garlic and asparagus!
How to roast asparagus in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut 2 inches off the bottom of the asparagus. Place them in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Brush a little olive oil on the asparagus spears. Sprinkle a little garlic powder and salt.
- For smaller asparagus spears, cook for 5 minutes. Larger sized ones will take 8 minutes to cook.
- Remove from the oven immediately and serve! Mangia!
How to store cooked asparagus
In the fridge
Cooked asparagus can be placed in a glass airtight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days.
In the freezer
It is not recommended that cooked asparagus be preserved in the freezer. Upon reheating, the asparagus will likely have a very mushy texture.
How to reheat
Preheat the oven to 350° F and cook the asparagus for 5 minutes until it is warm.
Cooked asparagus is best when only cooked once, the texture will begin to soften upon reheating.
What goes with roasted asparagus
- Parmesan crusted chicken is a quick meal that really packs in flavor with minimal ingredients.
- Vegetarian stuffed acorn squash is an easy meal to whip up and is packed with nutrients!
- Creamy sausage and tomato soup is a classic that the whole family will enjoy.
- Creamy curry chicken meatballs is a filling yet light dish that would pair beautifully with asparagus.
- Herb roasted chicken is one of those meals that really embodies the idea of good old fashioned home cooking.
More Backyard Bohemian Classics
- Southern Low Country Boil With Cajun Lemon Butter
- Maple and Pecan Crusted Rack of Lamb
- Italian Stuffed Whole Pompano
- Healthy Fresh Strawberry Soufflé
- Pancake Breakfast Board
5 Minute Oven Roasted Asparagus
Oven roasted asparagus is such an easy side dish that is healthy, delicious, and fast cooking.
- 1 lb raw asparagus
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the bottom 2 inches off the asparagus spears.
Lay the asparagus in a single layer on the baking sheet. Brush the olive oil on the asparagus using the basting brush. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt on top.
For smaller asparagus spears, roast for 5 minutes. Larger asparagus spears will need 8 minutes to cook. Do not overcook the asparagus as it will get very mushy. Remove from the oven immediately. Serve with your favorite meal. Mangia!